Laser hair removal is the process of hair removal by means of exposure to pulses of laser light that will destroy the hair follicles. It is very effective and efficient in damaging the basal stem cells in the hair follicles. Today we are going to cover what you can do before after your hair laser removal appointments.
Despite the effectiveness of laser hair removal, it can result into some side effects such as swelling, redness or irritation of the skin, nevertheless, you can guard against such side effects by practicing these actions.
Here is what you can do BEFORE Laser Hair Removal:
- You should endeavor to discuss the kinds of medication you are currently taking during the consultation with the service provider because some prescriptions have the potential of causing photosensitivity that can lead to burns.
- Avoid using skin care product with strong ingredients such as retinoid or alpha hydroxyl acid.
- Avoid plucking, waxing, or bleaching your hair for 6 weeks prior to your laser hair removal treatment because when you pluck out your hair by the root, it will reduce the effectiveness of the treatment.
- You should shave a day prior to your laser removal treatment because it encourages the hair follicles to go into its active growing stage which is the great stage for laser targeting.
- You should always have a shower before your appointment and properly clean the area to be treated to ensure that dirt and oil are removed from the skin.
As far as post Laser Hair Removal you can do the following:
- Attend the scheduled follow-up maintenance treatment as directed by the service provider when due.
- Avoid exposure to the sun and wear a high-quality sunscreen because exposure to ultra-violet rays can result in skin irritation and can lead to the complication of laser hair removal treatment.
- Always make use of sunless tanning options like self-tanning products between treatment sessions. However, you should stop 2 weeks prior to the next treatment.
- You should continue shaving instead of plucking your hair in case you need to remove your hair in-between the treatment.
- You should carefully exfoliate the treated skin 2-3 times a week with a washcloth to reduce the risk of developing ingrown hairs.
- Always take tepid showers throughout the first week after the laser hair removal treatment.
- Never use perfumes or deodorants for 2 days after your laser hair removal treatment.
All things mentioned will go a long way in helping you with your Laser Hair Removal Treatment, it’s an investment but so worth it!